Friday, February 13, 2009

Randomness

I'm super scattered ...because life has been super scattery this week and I'm on call this weekend. Thus ...things I need to get down will have to be done in bullet format because I don't have enough functioning brain cells to form an actual, you know, sentence.

  • My 85 year old grandma fell off her back porch on Tuesday and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. They did a chest x-ray and gave her pain medicine she told them she was allergic to. She was in incredible pain everywhere so they put a morphine patch on her and sent her home. No other testing, but pain they felt was severe enough to warrant morphine at home.
  • She called me 2 days later crying, asking for help.
  • I took her to my hospital ER. She had broken 2 vertebrae in her back, 6 ribs, and her pelvis.
  • Rage? Doesn't even begin to explain it. She nearly died from their incompetence. She could still.
  • Thank you for the help/advice with Amnio. I'm still lost. I had completely decided NOT to do it and then promptly came home today and had a panic attack thinking about it. I really think that the baby is fine but don't feel like dealing with the anxiety. I'll make a decision on Monday. I guess my main thought is that if the baby does have Downs, I want to process that now before I'm holding and cuddling him and trying to bond. Does that make sense? I don't want shock and disappointment to be part of that time.
  • I've been spending a lot of time on the to amnio or not boards and parenting a downs baby boards. Umm...holy painful.
  • My pelvis hurts really bad. Like ..I feel it separating. I can't decide if it's real or if I'm having sympathy pain for grandma.
  • There are at least 4 beta HCG's in the blogosphere that I'm anxiously awaiting this week. I think I'm more excited/nervous for their results than I was for mine if that's possible.
  • I'm going to have to have a name survey ...because we have nothing. No ideas. Nothing even close. I have a five syllable very Italian last name that's making first names difficult to me for some reason.
  • I was super sore like 3 days ago. I felt like I ran a marathon and trained for an Iron man all on the same day. I was convinced that it was the baby pushing things around. When I couldn't explain how sore my arms were, I decided that my sleep number bed was set wrong. Everything ached.
  • Then I realized that I walked the dog the day before. 2 miles.
  • Pathetic. How do your arms hurt from walking a 15 pound dog?
  • I hate this stage of pregnancy. Nothing fits. Maternity clothes are way too big. All but 4-5 of my work shirts are way too small.Regular pants fit. Sort of. Maternity pants look goofy.
  • Snow and 60 degree weather in the same week pisses me off.
  • I've all but given up hope of ever moving out of this dreadful city.
  • I forgot to mention that I had a fairly long discussion with the MFM about the usefulness of the quad screen. I told him I was sort of irritated that I had done it ...even more so that it was abnormal and stressing me out. He gave me a very educational lecture about how much good it actually does. Even with a normal amnio, the abnormal results often predict something wrong with the pregnancy - can predict pre-term labor, insufficient placenta, etc. He actually went through the different possibilities of every one of the four markers and what it could mean. Told me about a few patients where having the test actually saved the baby's life because he was able to start scanning on a regular basis and knew exactly when to hospitalize mom and when to get the baby out. Anyway. I found it very reassuring somehow as well as incredibly informative. So I'd like to retract my statement that I'd never do a quad screen again. I would. But I'd hate it just the same.

Umm....I think that's it. For now. Wish me luck at surviving another 12 days without a day off! I hate this part of my job. hate it. I love the part that got me out at 11:30 today instead of 7:00 tonight. Hmmm....I think maybe I'm just lazy and don't like to work at all.

2 comments:

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother's accident and the subsequent incompetence at the ER. Hope that she has a smooth recovery.

Anonymous said...

um....wtf about your grandma? where the heck was she? i have a guess.... that totally sucks. they took XRs, how could they miss stuff? arg. i completely understand your anger.

i'm freaking out about my beta. my boobs feel less full now, i did have *occasional* nipple pain, but that's gone, and i have the ever-present feeling of a uterus/cramps. i think that these are bad signs when put together. :(